The Sasamat Outdoor Centre Counsellor-In-Training (C.I.T.) program is designed for youth who have a passion for the outdoors and working with children.
Over a period of one month, Sasamat Outdoor Centre staff will assist C.I.T participants in discovering their own leadership style, helping them to build self-confidence through teamwork and situational learning.
Through formal and informal sessions, cabin placements and reflection, C.I.T.'s will gain a deeper understanding of the counselling role. They will become leaders themselves, learning to effectively manage group dynamics, teach skills within the various activities at camp, and deepen their understanding of camp philosophy, community service and teamwork.
Upon successful completion of the C.I.T. Program, participants are ready to apply for staff or volunteer positions at Sasamat Outdoor Centre and other residential and day camps in the community.
The C.I.T. program is a four week program that runs from Monday to Friday. Weeks one to three will operate on a day camp schedule, with days running from 10:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Week four will be the residential week, where C.I.T's will come Monday morning prepared to sleep over until Friday afternoon. C.I.T.'s will also have a weekend out-trip that will take place between weeks two and three. Similarly, C.I.T.'s will participate in canoeing certification courses and first aid certification courses that may require them to arrive prior to 10:00am (in which case special transportation will be arranged from Port Moody Recreation Centre).
- strategic goal setting
- learning about leadership styles
- determing your learning style
- communication workshops
- behaviour management workshops
- working with special needs lessons
- identifying abuse and harrassment workshops
- learning how to plan a program
- planning and executing programs
- hands on experience working with groups of campers in a supportive role
- learning group management skills & back pocket games
- 2 day out-trip
- RCABC Basic or Advanced Tandem/Solo Canoeing Levels
- WCB Level 1 First Aid
Transportation is provided from Vancouver, Burquitlam, Port Moody, Glen Elementary and Port Coquitlam.
Please carefully note all drop off and pick up times for a bus stop, or for driving to Sasamat, on the Summer Bus Information page.
Things to Know!
- Late Night Thursdays: Thursday evenings are special for C.I.T campers. Dinner will be provided (campfire cook out dinner), which will be followed by a full camp campfire with songs and skits. Sasamat Day Camp Parents are invited to join campfire, campfire is from 7:00pm-8:00pm. If you are joining us for campfire please look out for the parking attendant to help you park and please leave your pets at home (we are a pet free environment). Sasamat Day Camp pick up time on Thursdays is 8:00pm. Buses will depart at 8:00pm and follow their regular routes. Please refer to Summer Bus Information page for bus stop pick up times on Thursday evening. (Applies to C.I.T. weeks 1-3)
- Bagged Lunches & Lunch Program: Your C.I.T can either bring a lunch or you purchase a nutritious bag lunch from our kitchen for them. Bagged lunches are ordered by the week (no exceptions made) at time of registration for $25.00. Bagged lunches include a sandwich, drink, fruit and dessert.
- Allergies and Diet Restrictions: Due to the large number of children with nut allergies, please ensure your C.I.T. does not bring any nut products. We are a nut free environment. Please indicate your C.I.T's allergies at time of registration in the camper information section, or call into the office.
- T-Shirts: All campers recieve a t-shirt at no additional cost. Please indicate size when registering. If you register past April 30, size cannot be guaranteed.
- Program Age: must be 16 before August 31 of the program year to enroll.
Payment, Refund and Transfers
Payment is due in full no later than May 1, 2017.
If payment has not been received in full by May 1, 2017, your registration will be cancelled and your spot will be given to another camper.
If you require a payment alternative, please contact the office.
Cancellations more than 30 days before the state of the camp session - Refunds are provided, minus a $50.00 administration fee.
Cancellations within 30 days of a camp session - Refunds are not provided unless we are able to fill your spot with a camper of the same age and gender. If we can fill your spot, a refund will be provided, minus a $50.00 administration fee.
Substition of Campers - Due to long waiting lists and age and gender issuse, camper substitutions are not allowed. If you cancel a camper's registration, another camper can bot be put in his or her place.
Camperships are available for families in need. Please use the link below to access information and the application form.