Ridgerunner I- Ages 13-15
2019 Price: $600 + GST
Non-Refundable Deposit Amount: $100.00
Registration Opens on December 17th, 2018, at 9:30am
The Ridgerunner program introduces participants to beautiful backcountry camping in Garibaldi Park. Garibaldi Park was carved out by volcanic activity thousands of years ago and now offers magnificent alpine lakes, glaciers, rivers and coastal forests.
Participants will experience this rich landscape on a trip that aims to foster a basic skill set of how to properly and safely camp in the back country with minimal environmental impact. Ridgerunners will help campers to learn the skills they need to know to continue camping on their own in the future.
Both trips will traverse areas that are rich in geological history and natural wonder. The Black Tusk, considered to be the remains of an extinct andesitic strato volcano, also cuts into the alpine skyline with an impressive silhouette. The region leaves one feeling appreciative of the natural world and its wonders.
Ridgerunner I is a six day residential program that runs from Sunday to Friday. The adventure will begin at Cheakamus Lake in the shadows of Whistler Mountain, and finish at the spectacular glacier fed Garibaldi Lake. The group will follow Helm Creek trail between Empetrum Ridge and Corrie Ridge, summiting to 1800m and experiencing breath taking alpine views.
Summer 2019 Dates
Ridgerunner I Trip #1: July 7-12, 2019
Ridgerunner I Trip #2: July 28-August 2, 2019
Ridgerunner I Trip #3: August 18-23, 2019
Ridgerunner I activities include:
- Introduction to back country camping
- One day at Sasamat at beginning of program that teaches:
- group & personal gear packing
- compass & map skills
- wildlife safety
- Leave No Trace (LNT) procedures
- risk management
- Four days travelling through Garibalid Provincial Park that will include:
- camping in tents
- safe water collection
- proper bathroom strategies
- cooking on a camp stove
- nature immersion & disconnection from technology and daily life
- spectacular scenary
- staff lead programs focusing on team building & self-reflection
- One day at Sasamat at end of program that includes:
- trip debrief with Program Director
- time for relaxation (showers, swimming)
- celebration of completed trip
Transportation is provided from Vancouver, Burquitlam, and Port Moody only.
Please carefully note all drop off and pick up times for a bus stop, or for driving to Sasamat, on the Summer Bus Information page.
Things To Know!
- Allergies and Diet Restrictions: Due to the large number of children with nut allergies, please do not send your child with any nut products. We are a nut free environment. Please indicate your childs allergies at time of registration in teh camper information section, or call into the office.
- T-Shirts: All campers recieve a t-shirt at no additional cost. Please indicate size when registering. If you register past April 30, size cannot be guaranteed.
- Ridgerunner I Program Age: must be 13 by August 31 of the program year to enroll.
- Ridgerunner II Program Age: must be 14 by August 31 of the program year to enroll.
- Swimming: swimming will only be permitted base on temperature and availability of lifeguards on the trips for safety reasons.
- Packing: packing for an out trip is particularly important, please ensure you read the packing list thoroughly.
Payment, Refund and Transfers
When you register you may pay the full amount up front, or you may pay 50% upfront. If you choose to pay 50% upfront, the remainder of the fees will be automatically charged to your credit card on May 1, 2019. You may also come back any time before then to make additional payments.
Cancellations more than 30 days before the start of the camp session - Refunds are provided, minus the $100.00 non-refundable deposit.
Cancellations within 30 days of a camp session - Refunds are not provided unless your spot can be filled with a camper of the same age and gender. If your spot can be filled, a refund will be provided, minus the $100.00 non-refundable deposit.
Substitution of Campers - Due to long waiting lists and age and gender issues, camper substitutions are not allowed. If you cancel a camper's registration, another camper cannot be put in their place.
Camperships are available for families in need. Please use this link Campership Applications to access information and the application form.