Grade 10 and up
Fee- 85.00 + weekend program costs
Please use the Register Now button on the left hand side of the screen to register for Leadership programs. You will have to create a new user in order to register as we have changed our Registration system.
Leadership I is designed to foster and develop the essential skills and qualities of a great leader.
Geared toward students in Grade 10 and up this program is perfect for those looking to gain job skills, work experience, volunteer hours, and have a whole lot of fun!
For 10 weeks from late January until the end of April, we meet for one evening a week to work on leadership styles, communication, time management and professionalism, personal development, and theory on group management and working with children.
Weeknight sessions are perfectly complimented by weekend trips including overnights at Sasamat Outdoor Centre where youth can opt to gain certifications in Standard First Aid, Food-Safe BC, High-Five, and RCABC Canoeing levels.
This program builds the essential skills and knowledge necessary to help land rewarding jobs and impact the community around you. Make new friends, gain volunteer hours, acquire references for your resume, experience running programs for children, and even a chance to win a scholarship!
Leadership I Locations and Dates
Douglas College David Lam Campus, Coquitlam
1250 Pinetree Way
First Meeting: January 24, 2017
Port Moody Recreation Centre, Port Moody
300 Ioco Road (next to Arena and Library)
First Meeting: January 25, 2017
Room: Multipurpose 3
- leadership development in the areas of leadership styles, communication, conflict resolution, life skills, job preparedness, time management and self care during weekly meetings
- practical skill development in the areas of program facilitation and outdoor recreation knowledge during weekend programs
- a strong social network of likeminded motivated youth
- Certifications/Experience Gained
- First Aid, C.P.R. and Food Safe certifications
- RCABC canoe courses
- practical experience facilitating outdoor programs for children
- Resume Boosters
- professional references from Leadership instructors
- volunteer hours that can be applied to high school requirements for graduation
- Dave Stevens scholarship opportunity
Transporation is not provided for weekly meetings. Pick-ups will be organized for weekend sessions with pick-up and drop-off times and locations communicated to students prior to the weekend events.
Things to Know!
Weekends are a special part of the L1 program, they put the lessons of the weekly meetings into action. LI students can choose the weekends and certifications they wish to register for.
- Full participation in at least 2 weekend days in addition to 1 full weekend is required to graduate LI.
- A student cannot select more than 2 certicification courses per weekend.
Weekend registration will become available after the start of the program. Weekends include:
- Skill Development: Feb 17-19, 2017
- Neighbourhood House Visit: Mar 4-5, 2017
- Social Justice Workshop:Apr 1, 2017
- Leadership & April Day Camp: Apr 21-23, 2017
- $100/weekend (meals included)
- $100/weekend (meals included)
- $25 (bring lunch or $ to purchase)
- $100/weekend (meals included)
Certification courses are offered during weekend programs. Certification course registration will become available after the start of the program.
- RCA of BC Tandem Canoe Course (date TBA)
- RCA of BC Solo Canoe Course (date TBA)
- WCB Level 1 First Aid, must be 16 yrs old (date TBA)
- Food Safe Level 1 (date TBA)
- High Five, must be 15 yrs old (date TBA)
Participants must meet all the following requirements to successfully graduate from the LI program.
-All fees paid
-10+ relevant hours of volunteer work
-Full participation in at least 7 of the weekday evening sessions
-Full participation in at least 2 weekend days in addition to 1 full weekend
-Complete exit interview during week 10 of the program
Students will not recieve their LI certificate of completion unless they complete all the above requirements. Upon completion of the LI, participants will be invited to join Sasamat for the annual Leadership Recognition Night on May 9, 2017 at 6:30pm. This event will be hosted at Sasamat Outdoor Centre.
Leadership Information Session
Monday January 9, 2017
Sasamat Outdoor Centre
Mark your calendars! Leadership staff have prepared an information session for leadership parents and students to answer all your questions. The information session will be hosted at Sasamat Outdoor Centre in the main lodge.
Payment, Refund and Transfers
Payment is due in full 30 days before the start of the camp session you are registered for.
If payment has not been received in full, your registration will be cancelled and your spot will be given to another camper. If you require a payment alternative, please contact the office.
Weekend Registration- To enroll in a leadership weekend program, your registration must be submitted by Monday at 4pm of the same week.
Transfer Fee- Sasamat will charge a transfer fee of $30.00 per child each time a camper wishes to transfer from one week or program to another. All transfers must be complete 30 days prior to the start date of the camp session.
Cancellations more than 15 days before the start of the camp session - Refunds are provided, minus a $30.00 administration fee.
Cancellations within 15 days of a camp session - Refunds are not provided unless your spot can be filled with a camper of the same age and gender. If your spot can be filled, a refund will be provided, minus a $30.00 administration fee.
Substitution of Campers - Due to long waiting lists and age and gender issues, camper substitutions are not allowed. If you cancel a camper's registration, another camper can not be put in his or her place.
If a student is unable to attend a full weekend - partial participation is okay. A parent must pre-arrange to pick up/drop off a student. There is no discount offered for only attending a partial weekend.
Camperships are available for families in need. Use the link below to access information and the application form.
A brand new online calendar outlining meetings, weekend events, deadlines and all the detials of leadership! Save this link as a favourite and stay in the loop!